Home Forums General Discussion Flying Boston/San Antonio with Power Chair on Southwest

18 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  Josh 8 months ago
Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

sheri19a
    Participant
    @Sheri19a

I’ve bee told by Southwest that they may have to put chair it’s side to get it into the cargo doors….I asked if it would be possible to put the back in recline to get it in.  He thought that was a good idea. My question is….I’ll have to raise the cantilever arm rests up making an already unstable armrest more unstable. IS there any way or the best way I could stabilize the arm rests?

sheri19a
    Participant
    @Sheri19a

front overall

Josh
    Participant
    @Josh_Grisdale

I asked Southwest on Twitter and just got a link to this page: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-ASSISTANCE

I would be cautious about putting it on its side without removing the batteries… They are likely sealed but may leak.  Also, it would put pressure on parts of the wheelchair not designed to take pressure (ie armrests) and may bend it.  If possible i think tilting is best, but not sure about armrests.  Can they be removed and put on the seat and taped there?

You may want to do a few trial runs at home first…

I love accessible travel so much I started this website and Accessible Japan!
    Power wheelchair user.

sheri19a
    Participant
    @Sheri19a

Thank you Josh. I had seen that but it doesn’t really talk about details of their procedure, so I’d like to go prepared with how to proceed with what they tell me the day of. I really want to find a way not NOT remove the armrests…there is now simple way to remove cantilever armrests…they are bolted down at the back end. It would be hard to reattach at the same spot and then the controls would have to taken off witch then would have to take off the entire back casing to unplug them. It’s possible if I HAVE to but time consuming at the very least. If I can direct them on how to use seat recline and stablize the arm would be ideal and I will campaign for that.  But that still leaves me with the dilemma of stabalizing the arm.

I’m sure once I figure this all out…The next trip will be sooo much less stressful. I do appreciate all suggestions and insight from everyone. Thank you.

Josh
    Participant
    @Josh_Grisdale

I wish I was a technician!  When are you going?

At the very least, after you are done being a “guinea pig” for this flight, I think it would be good for everyone to hear what happened in the end!

Power wheelchair user.

sheri19a
    Participant
    @Sheri19a

I will let everyone know how I make out for sure. 🙂 I leave the end of the week!

I do have another question though. I’ve done searches with no luck. Does anyone have a diagram of heavy power wheelchair and where the best places to lift the chair from would be.  For example: Would the four points that the tied downs use be strong enough? Can they lift from the bar at the back of the chair or under the seat?

I did see that directions say the frame…I’m sure they will know where exactly that is since I am not clear on that either .

Thank you all for your insights.

lemadelinot68
    Participant
    @LeMadelinot68

Usually the best option is the four anchoring hoops..

"who tells you that the earth is not another planet’s hell"

sheri19a
    Participant
    @Sheri19a

Thank you Lemadelinot68.

Josh
    Participant
    @Josh_Grisdale

Hello,

How did things work out?!?

I hope it went well…

Power wheelchair user.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.