MemberMarch 15, 2019 at 11:00 am
My husband and I will be embarking on a cruise leaving from Yokoyama in mid October and making several stops in the south. My husband is a quadriplegic and has a power wheelchair that cannot fold and with him in it it weighs over 250 kgs. Would anyone be able to help with these questions:
- Medical Supplies: where could I buy bleach in Japan (for medical supply cleaning)
- Accessible transport: Ive tried to reach @wilgo but haven’t received a response. Are there other people who could transport us? My husband would require a ramp or lift into a vehicle.
- Medical Equipment: Are there any shower/commode wheelchairs that we could rent or purchase in Tokyo area? Does anyone have a name of a supplier?
- Rolling Around: how accessible are the train stations, curbs, sidewalks, new fish market?
- Hotels: what is the best location to stay in Tokyo or Yokohama for access purposes?
- Things to do: Are there sumo matches or kabuki theatres that would accommodate a power wheelchair?
- We would like to see Mt Fuji. Our cruise will stop in Shimizu. Is it better to go via Tokyo or Shimizu?
thanks so very much for any answers or recommendations you might have!
MemberMarch 15, 2019 at 11:12 am
Some kind of errors had happen to communicate with Wilgo. Have you sent e-mail or used request form on our website? I’ve checked the records, but your messages are not found.
Anyway, this forum and I can help you as possible as we can.
With regard to your question about wheelchair lift, the total weight would be OK, but size might be an issue. Please check this FAQ if your husband’s wheelchair fits onto the platform as well as in the cabin.
I’ll follow other questions up later today.
Sorry for no responses….
MemberMarch 15, 2019 at 11:41 am
Thank you Sumii san! I will look at your FAQs. Is this the best way to communicate?
AdministratorMarch 15, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Glad you got in touch with @wilgo, Sumii-san is great!
As for bleach, standard bleach is sold in any drug store, so it should be easy enough to find.
For medical equepment, you may want to contact the hotels you are staying at as many have a shower chair. The Keio hotel in Shinjuku has great access and recently renovated their accessible rooms, so that may answer your shower chair and hotel question.
For Kabuki and Sumo, Sumii-san is the guy to talk to 🙂 He may also help you get to Mt Fuji. If you prefer to go from Shimizu, we can try to find another rental place.
All curbs in Japan are cut and sidewalks are generally smooth (but some aren’t). The new fish market is 100% accessible: https://www.accessible-japan.com/places/japan/tokyo/koto/attractions/toyosu-fish-market/
Also, since you are on a cruise, @twoboysmom00 may be able to give some tips as well since she and her family went on one a few years ago.
Looking forward to helping you enjoy Japan!
MemberMarch 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Wonderful news! Thanks so much! Helps to relieve my anxiety! Still having trouble getting hrough to Sumii san’s website but will keep trying,
Log in to reply.