Home Forums Destinations Asia Japan Discussion Hotels in Japan with soft mattresses

13 replies, 6 voices Last updated by  debsydubs39 4 months ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author

missturtleblog
    Participant
    @melanie_lmt

Hi everyone!

If you are pressure sensitive and need a soft and comfortable mattress you might have a hard time in Japan. Traditionally the mattresses in Japan are hard (and by hard I mean very hard). Throughout my travels across Japan, I found some hotels with comfortably soft beds.

• APA Akihabara in Tokyo
      All rooms are equipped with a  ‘Cloud Fit’ mattress. APA beds are heavenly comfortable. Feels a bit like American hotel beds. There is one wheelchair-accessible room (with bathtub).All APA Hotels are equipped with the ‘Cloud Fit’ mattress.
    • REMM Akihabara in Tokyo
      The REMM hotel beds are soft and comfortable. They also have a great pillow menu. We stayed in a regular twin room. In Kagoshima, we stayed at the REMM as well. There is one wheelchair-accessible room (with bathtub).All REMM Hotels are equipped with the same beds.

Now here are three hotels that were disappointing regarding bed comfort:

Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku: Hard mattress

Hyatt Tokyo in Shinjuku: Hard mattress

Akihabara Washington Hotel:
    Extremely hard mattress. I had to sleep on a layer of 9 (!) blankets to sleep without being in constant pain.

Please comment if you know of any other hotels (hotel chains) with soft beds!

Melanie
    Little Miss Turtle | Wheelchair Travel Blog

3 users thanked author for this post.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Thank you for the fantastic information!  Yes, mattresses tend to be hard here and often hurt my back more than give a good rest!

Please keep sharing!

Accessible JapanFacebookTwitter

2 users thanked author for this post.

astrogrrl
    Participant
    @astrogrrl

Thanks for the information.  I’ll be coming to Japan in March and really struggle on hard matresses.  Does anyone else have any suggestions on places with soft mattresses.

Also of the places listed can anyone let me know what height the beds are?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Hi,

Hopefully @melanie_lmt can share about the height, but yes hard beds are very common here.  There was a thread on Trip Advisor about this and one suggestion was The Prince Group hotels.  They are a chain and I’m pretty sure they all have an accessible room.

As for the ones @melanie_lmt mentioned, both are chain hotels so I assume they have the same mattresses at all locations.  Here are the websites:

I’ll ask on Twitter and Facebook as well. 🙂

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Also, you may want to bring a travel yoga mat (https://amzn.to/2RvYAjC) with you?  Not sure if it would help, but it may!

Vera_V
    Participant
    @Vera_V

Hi,

I have been in Japan in October and had good experiences in the hotels of the Sotetsu Fresa Inn chain.

They have comfortable beds, wheel inn showers and reasonable prices.

I have been in: Sotetsu Fresa Inn Kyoto ShijoKarasuma ([email protected]) and Sotetsu Fresa Inn Ochanomizu Jimbocho ([email protected])

Regards Vera

3 users thanked author for this post.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

A Facebook user suggested:

MyStays, Mets, Daiwa Roynet, Tokyu Stay are okay. APA also. Sotetsu Fresa as well.

missturtleblog
    Participant
    @melanie_lmt

@accessiblejapan: I’ve stayed at several MyStays Hotels and for me – as a full time power chair user who can neither walk nor move (ie change my position) -the mattresses were too hard there. So I wouldn’t recommend the MyStays Chain.

Melanie

missturtleblog
    Participant
    @melanie_lmt
    • @astrogrrl: The beds were pretty low. Unfortunately I don’t know the exact bed heights.

Melanie

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

A friend from Inside Japan Tours says that:

The Gate Hotel Kaminarimon have Simmons mattresses, as do the deluxe rooms at the Keio Plaza Hotel, also theTokyo station hotel and Mercure Tokyo Ginza too.

Simmons mattresses generally are softer than others.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.