Home Forums Destinations Australia & Oceania Australia, New Zealand & Oceania Discussion Travelling with 7-yr-old son with ASD in Australia

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  BenD 1 week, 3 days ago
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

BenD
    Participant
    @BenD

Greetings.

We live in Japan but we will be travelling with Lenny, our amazing son with ASD, to Australia (Canberra-Melbourne-Sydney) from mid-May to early June. We haven’t been able to travel with him very much because he has various sensory issues, particular related to sounds, and food allergies. Things a settling down a little for him and us.

My wife will be flying with Lenny from Japan to Canberra first, then later from Canberra to Melbourne (Qantas), where I will meet up with them. We will also make a return trip to Sydney from Melbourne (possibly Jetstar or some other airline).

Does anyone have any advice/experience we could draw on before we travel? Contact airlines? Quiet rooms at airports? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Ben

1 user thanked author for this post.

impactvacations
    Participant
    @ImpactVacations

Hi Ben,

If you contact the airlines at least 48 hours before your flights you can usually get a staff member to assist with expedited security and customs screenings. This request just has to be on your file so they know to have a staff member available.

I do not know of any quiet rooms however ask the airline staff upon arrival and see if they can get you access to one of the airport lounges perhaps. There could be a fee involved for the airport lounge though.

You can also always try BOSE noise canceling headphones. They are expensive however they do an amazing job of blocking out noise including white noise.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

2 users thanked author for this post.

BenD
    Participant
    @BenD

Thanks so much. Contact the airline staff – good call! I’ll think about the lounges as well. I’ve got some Bose headphones but he is not a fan. Might just try ear muffs.

I really appreciate the info.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.