Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Destinations Asia Japan Discussion Trip to Japan in March

• Trip to Japan in March

astrogrrl created 3 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 17 Posts
  • astrogrrl

January 15, 2019 at 10:13 am

@joanp  thankyou so much for all the infomation and help. It looks like Takayama is certainly worth the difficulty getting there since it is a bit further out.

• AccessibleJapan

Administrator
    January 15, 2019 at 11:33 am

OK, I got a reply from Takayama city saying some buses are accessible, others aren’t.  Not terribly helpful.

However, they gave me the phone number for the bus operator, Nohi Bus.  I called them and the bus to Shirakawa-Go is definitely not accessible.  The only option would be for people who can fold their wheelchair and walk up the steps.  (And not every bus has a luggage compartment to store a wheelchair.)

The local buses are also not all accessible, but some are.  They can arrange to have a certain bus be the accessible one if you call in advance (only for the local bus, not the one to Shirakawa-Go).  The phone number is 0577-32-1160.  But since I’m pretty sure none of them speak English, I suggest that before going, you ask one of your hotels in Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo help with the call.

That being said, it may be much less stressful (though more expensive) to hire the accessible taxi for the day so you can go everywhere…

Sorry for the bad news.

• astrogrrl

January 25, 2019 at 10:07 pm

What would the likely cost be to hire a wheelchair taxi for the day?  Are there wheelchair accessible cars that can be hired for longer periods or for single trips?

• AccessibleJapan

Administrator
    January 25, 2019 at 11:04 pm

The place I found had a 3hr route for 18,600 yen, a 4hr route for 24,700 yen, and 4.5hr route (including Shirakawa-go) for 27,800 yen.

Here is the site: http://www.kaigo-taxi-hiyoko.com/kannkoumoderuko-su.html

As for renting, they do exist, but I think @wilgo checked and one place required a Japanese license…

• wilgo

January 26, 2019 at 7:20 am

Hi,

Yes, accessible vehicle rental is available at Fuji Cars Japan.  They have offices in major cities including Gifu prefecture where Takayama city is in.

Other rental service company where accessible camper van is available at requires a Japanese driver license.

With regard to an accessible taxi in Takayama, Medix Taxi provides you with English tour service.  However, the accessible taxi in this company looks as a small size vehicle, which might not have enough capacity for your party,

• astrogrrl

March 15, 2019 at 10:21 am

We are in Takayama right now but having trouble finding a wheelchair accessible way to get to Shirakawa Go.  Buses are a no go as you have to get out of wheelchair.  Does anyone know if there is  a wheelchair taxi.

• caylarichards

May 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Shirakawago is one of the best place in japan full of greenery mountain, it makes me feel peace of mind seeing this place, it was really very cool to see and enjoy the nature which bring me happiness and the village with paddy field and the house made was different and beautiful too.Environment there was so beautiful. I would recommend to visit the place if you get chance to visit to japan its so wonderful.

Viewing 11 - 17 of 17 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now