Home Forums Destinations Asia Japan Discussion Wheelchair maintenance / tech tips

6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Mark Bookman 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Igor
    Participant
    @kenigor

Wheelchair users have some hard moments when they need maintenance to change batteries, tires or fix their vehicle.

How about creating a repository/list of shops in Japan/Tokyo we can visit for maintenance?

Igor Oliveira
    Twitter: kenigor

2 users thanked author for this post.

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Unfortunately, much of the wheelchair industry is focused on going through the city office and not easy to just drop by.  Also, they mostly only have Japanese websites!

Here are some in Tokyo:

It might be best to contact your wheelchair manufacturor and ask who their distributor is.

@wilgo any other suggestions?  @bookman you had your wheelchair breakdown.  Where did you go?

Accessible JapanFacebookTwitter

1 user thanked author for this post.

Igor
    Participant
    @kenigor

Great post, thank you!

I also recommend people to contact first the wheelchair manufacturer but on many occasions, an emergency repair is necessary or it can be done only on origin country.

I know Saito Kobo, it’s great! They solved all the problems I had with my Brazilian wheelchair and also ended buying one with them. I recommend.

I will check more about others. Thanks!

Igor Oliveira

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Good to hear Saito Kobo is good to work with!  What type of wheelchair was your chair from Brazil?

Igor
    Participant
    @kenigor

I was using a Freedom Compact: http://www.freedom.ind.br/produto/saude/cadeiras-de-rodas-motorizadas/freedom-compact/

It’s manufactured in Brazil, if I’m right it’s the biggest in Latin America. I like this model cause allow me to handle higher steps. I could even manage trains by myself without requiring a slope. Bad points: Not so powerful on hilly places, air tires (comfortable, but require constant maintenance) and seem to fail easily with water/rain.

I’m using a simple Permobil now.

Igor Oliveira

Accessible Japan
    Keymaster
    @AccessibleJapan

Interesting, I had never heard of it.  I hope they expand as the more competition there is, the better it is for us users!

Mark Bookman
    Participant
    @Bookman

@accessiblejapan

I actually selected my current powerchair (Permobil Corpus F3) with the expectation that I would be traveling to Tokyo sometime in the near future. Permobil has a dealership/repair shop in Morishita, so it’s fairly convenient for those living in Tokyo.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.